Sunday, August 21, 2011

Still The Same After All These Years


10 years ago I had a job in the room service department of a hotel. Turned out to be one of the funnest jobs I've ever had. I worked with a lot of great people and made so lasting friendships with a couple of them. One of which was my boss at the time, Sande. We became fast friends and would even hang out together after work and on days off.


Through Sande I met her best friend, Jen, and became good friends with her, too. I spent so many weekends hanging out with Jen and Sande we were kind of like the Three Musketeers. Jen was even kind enough to care for my cat when I moved back home and discovered I was pregnant and couldn't take care of her anymore.


I lost touch with them a little while after we both stopped working at the hotel, but, thanks to Facebook, we found each other again a few years ago and have been keeping in touch that way. I haven't actually seen Sande in person since my oldest was just a few weeks old (back in late '01) and I haven't seen Jen since my son was a few months old and she was pregnant with her son (back in late '07). We've tried to all get together since finding each other on Facebook a few years ago, but, life often has it's own plans and things never seem to work out right when we would make plans.


Fast forward to present day, 2011. Sande was having a cookout at her mom's house and for once, our schedules weren't conflicted and I marked my calendar, asked my MIL to watch the kiddies and eagerly anticipated 'the big day' (so to speak, lol).


The day had finally arrived. I woke up, got the kids up and ready to go to their Gram's house and made my way to the cookout. When Charlie and I pulled into the driveway, Sande and a couple of her friends were standing out front. She had a puzzled look on her face wondering who was pulling in the driveway (since she didn't know what my car looked like). Once she realized it was me her face lit up and I got out of the car to give her a hug. I missed my dear friend and was so happy to see her again after so many years.


Being there and hanging out with her and Jen again felt like no time had passed between the last time we were all together. We picked up where we left off and had a wonderful time. Even Charlie had a great time and we were a little sad to have to leave earlier then we wanted to because we had another party to go to that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment