Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Paging Dr. Mom

All children dream of what they want to be when they grow up. I was no exception. I wanted to be an actress or a teacher. Neither of those career choices panned out. At least not in the way I expected.

As a mother I am indeed an actress and teacher in my own way. I'm also a head chef, personal shopper, chauffeur, accountant, house keeper, Laundromat, events coordinator and Doctor among a few others.

During my pregnancy with Tabytha I worked at a nursing home and received my CNA and GNA certificates (Certified Nursing Assistant and Geriatric Nursing Assistant). I took care of the elderly's basic everyday needs (bathing, feeding, dressing, changing. . .ect. . .). This helped prepare me for motherhood in it's own way. Most of motherhood is 'on the job training, though, no matter how much "prep" you do for it and advice you get from other mothers.

I recently received some tips on how to fend off the cold and flu viruses that are floating around. I reminded Tabytha the importance of washing her hands and coughing into the crook of her arm if she gets a tickle in her throat. I told her it was also important to use the Germex that's kept in the classroom as often as possible to keep the sick bugs away. She told me "I always use it. It says it's 99% so I use two squirts so I get the whole 100".

In the list of tips for fending off the cold/flu virus it said to swab the inside of your nostrils with warm salt water or peroxide and to gargle with warm salt water. So, I collected the peroxide, warm salt water, tissues and Q-tips. I had Tabytha gently blow her nose and then swabbed the inside of her nostrils with peroxide and had her gargle with the warm salt water. When she was finished I swabbed inside John's nose with peroxide. While I was doing that Tabytha asks "Mommy, when you were a little girl, were you a doctor?". I chuckled and replied "No sweetie. I was a little girl when I was a little girl".

No comments:

Post a Comment