Monday, June 3, 2013

Growing Up

7 years ago, my oldest, Tabytha, began her academic 'career'.  Today she completes her elementary education and prepares to move on to middle school in the upcoming school year.

Looking back over the past 7 years I wonder, as all parents do, "Where did the time go???"  Each year I feel a little bit older knowing she's moving onto the next grade, but, still in elementary school.  Now Tabytha is finished with elementary and heading off to middle school.

I have a middle schooler!  I'm feeling even older now.  My old age aside, I'm so proud of the young lady Tabytha has grown into.  She's excelled in her studies throughout her time at elementary school and was rewarded during the 5th grade 'graduation' with the Presidential Award for Academic Excellence.  It's the award given to students who've kept a GPA of 3.5 or higher.  I knew she was going to get this award, but, she didn't know she was going to get it.  Watching the look of surprise on her face when her name was called was priceless.  I knew at that moment how she felt and understood in the same moment how my parents felt because I had received the SAME certificate when I 'graduated' 5th grade.

Tabytha has kept up her grades, made strong friendships and is well loved by all the staff at the elementary school.  I know she's excited by what she's accomplished and nervous about what to expect in middle school.  I know it'll be a difficult adjustment, but, I have no doubts she'll find her way and excel beyond what she thinks she can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment