Friday, June 5, 2009

Happy Birthday John!

Two years ago today, at 8:22am, my son entered the world. It was a beautiful moment for Charlie and me. Well, I was a little 'out of it' because our son was born via c-section and I was heavily medicated.

Our son's birth was a scheduled c-section so June 5th, 2007 my day began at 4:15am. My c-section was scheduled for 8am and we needed to be at the hospital by 6am (to fill out paperwork, draw blood, get me hooked up to IV's and such). So, having to be at the hospital by 6am meant we had to leave by 5am. I got up to shower before we left and Charlie and I went to the hospital. We got there around 5:45am. Already it felt like the longest day EVER! I had blood drawn, got set up with IV's and finished up hospital paperwork within an hour after getting to my hospital room. So, Charlie and I had an hour to wait before it was our time to go to the ER. I tried to close my eyes and get a little more rest. FINALLY, it was time to go to the OR for the section. I had to have a Spinal and Charlie wasn't allowed in the OR while that was being done. It hurt SOOO bad and he wasn't allowed in to hold my hand. After about 5 minutes of poking to find the 'right spot' the anesthesiologist got the spinal in and my lower body began getting numb. I was positioned on the table and Charlie was allowed in. I turned my head to see him and hold his hand but no sooner did I turn my head then the wave of neausea come over me and I had to turn my head back to the anesthesiologist to get sick. Spinals and I don't get along. Getting sick when you have no feeling below your rib cage is a challenge to say the least.

So, avoiding a few graphic bits of the story later, the Doctors have opened me up and they're pulling John out. I hear one Doctor say "Wow, he just keeps on coming, doesn't he?". That's it. John's finally OUT! I hear him cry and I begin to well up. I manage to turn my head to look at Charlie and see he's a little teary eyed too. Charlie goes to the area in the OR where the nurse cleans him up and Charlie finishes cutting the cord and sees the nurses weigh and measure John all while I'm getting cleaned up and put back together. John weighed in at 8lbs 11.5oz and was 22 inches long. He was perfect. Charlie never left his side from the moment he was born until we were all together again in our hospital room. If the nurses needed John for ANYTHING Charlie went with them. Charlie also changed John's first diaper, gave John his first bath and gave John his first bottle (after I had given nursing a try for a couple days).

It's now June 5th, 2009. My 'baby' boy is now 2 years old. His birth seems like just yesterday and seems so long ago all at the same time.

Happy Birthday Bubby. Mommy, Daddy and big sister (and baby sister) love you sooo much!!!

Newborn John

1yr old John

2 yr old John

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a birth story. I hope some of the details you left out were chunks on the anesthesiologist's shoes for poking you so much. ;0) I also find the last line of the third paragraph interesting. Sweetie, I hope you don't feel that you have to justify your feeding choice to anyone. You do what is best for your children. Many people have been bottle-fed from birth and turn out wonderfully! I mean, look at John!?! Does he look like he's suffered? He's strong and healthy, every mother's dream! Hope the two's are wonderful!