Sunday, July 5, 2009

4 Years Ago Today

It's 7pm as I begin writing this blog. Four years ago today Charlie proposed to me. I remember it clearly. Just a couple weeks before he had taken me to look at engagement rings. He wanted me to pick my ring so he knew I'd like it when he proposed. He didn't tell me when or where he'd propose. He gave me a price range to stay in and I found a ring I really liked. The jeweler got my ring size and said she'd have to send it out to be sized, the one in the display case was too small for my finger. It would take about 2 weeks. No biggie. Charlie and I had only been dating 3 months at this point. I wasn't in a rush to get engaged, but at the same time I was looking forward to his proposal.

July 5th, 2005 was a Tuesday. Tabytha and I had spent the day at my mom's house. Charlie was working at a body shop in Dover. When I got home from my mom's Charlie wasn't home yet. His dad told me Charlie had gone to Lowe's to get a new air compressor for the garage. He got home around 6:30pm. We all sat down to eat dinner and after dinner Charlie took me back to our room and sat me down on the couch and told me he needed to talk to me.

He began telling me how much he loved me and how he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me and then pulled the ring out of his pocket, got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I teared up and said "Yes!". We hugged and he kissed me. We went out into the living room to show his parents the ring. I got on the phone and called a few of my girlfriends and told them the great news.

The next day I went back to my mom's house and got there with Tabytha just before Dad left for work. Tabytha went downstairs to play and wait for Hannah to wake up and I went up to the kitchen while dad was getting his travel mug filled with coffee to head off to work. I said good morning and told them they were one step closer to getting a son-in-law and showed them my ring. They were very happy. Just a few days before Charlie had come with me and Tabytha to meet my family in Delaware and there he sat with my dad and asked him for my hand in marriage. So, my parents knew he was going to propose at some point. Dad had to get to work and mom and I sat at the dining room table with our coffee and I told her how he proposed. I stayed at mom's until dad got home so he could get a good look at the ring. Then I was on my way home again.

Fast forward to today, July 5th, 2009. Charlie and I have been married a little more than 3 years now. We have a wonderful home and 3 beautiful children. I'm blessed beyond words to have Charlie as my husband and father to our kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment