Thursday, July 16, 2009

Terrible Twos

A stereotype is a type of logical oversimplification in which all the members of a class or set are considered to be definable by an easily distinguishable set of characteristics . . . Stereotypes often form the basis of prejudice and are usually employed to explain real or imaginary differences due to race, gender, religion, age, ethnicity, socio-economic class, disability, and occupation, among the limitless groups one may be identified with. (as defined and paraphrased by 'Wikipedia').

Term [Stereotype]: Terrible twos
Definition: A stage of development in which toddler behavior is a particular challenge
Example: Alternately clingy, whiny, negative, fearful, and loud, their unpredictable behavior is epic, and it's often been written off as the Terrible Twos. (as defined by 'dictionary.com')

With that said I would like to say that my son is the poster child for the 'Terrible Twos'. John is quick to throw himself into a tizzy if he doesn't get what he wants when he wants it. If there's something other then Nickelodeon or Disney channel on he brings me the remote and points to the TV. When I tell him "no, mommy's watching something" he immediately begins crying/screaming and even sometimes hitting. I don't tolerate hitting, so I discipline according to the offense and an and I'm working with him teaching him to apologize when he's done something wrong. If he continues to be aggressive then I put him in his room for 2 minutes (one minute for each year he is) then I go in after he's settled down and sit on the floor so I'm eye level with him and tell him why I put him in his room, tell him why it was wrong, reassure him I love him and have him say sorry to the one he wronged. (which for right now is giving the person and hug and kiss because he still isn't talking).
Some days are much better then others, but the bulk of his frustration and everyone else's frustration is the language barrier. Yes, he's 2 years old and many 2 yr olds are speaking and putting sentences together. John isn't. He still mostly baby babbles. Some of his words are discernible, like 'mama', 'dada', 'no', 'ease' (for 'please'), but in general, he doesn't talk yet. It's difficult on everyone.
He's also found ways around all the child safety locks I have around the house (except the cabinet doors in the kitchen). I had the plastic door knob covers that spin around unless you grip them tightly, well, he breaks them off. I have a lock on the refrigerator and he pops the latch and still gets into the fridge. If it was up to him he'd graze out of the fridge all day!!! I have to tell him "no" all day long and listen to the fits and tantrums because he's not getting his way. John doesn't seem to care that I have 2 other children who need attention from me or housework for me to do each day.
I'm aware that it's our sinful human nature to be selfish and want instant gratification. From the moment we're conceived we're taking for ourselves. We're using our mother's bodies to supply our needs for growth (unconsciously and as instinctual as it may be). Children have to be taught how to behave and use manners because it doesn't come naturally. You don't have to teach a child how to be 'bad', lol.
I know he'll 'grow out' of it one day, and I'm doing my best to instill morals and values based on God's word in my kids, but that day isn't coming soon enough, lol!!! I'm ready for John to speak in understandable sentences and have fewer fits each day. Until then I'm just trying to keep my sanity in tact, lol!

4 comments:

  1. Jamie, I didn't realize John wasn't talking yet. Have you looked into an Early Intervention program? We did that at about 22 months for Kaleena, and it has done WONDERS for her. I highly recommend it. A speech therapist comes to our place once a week for an hour to work with her, and it doesn't cost us anything. They do bill our health insurance, but never bill us for any remaining balance. I know this does vary by state though. Still, I'd definitely look into it if I were you! It makes life so much easier when your little ones can communicate more. (As I'm sure you remember from Tabytha.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At John's 2 year check up his doctor wasn't that concerned about his speech yet. He wants to see how he progresses on his own through the summer and if he's still babbling by the time school starts up this fall he'll refer a speech therapist to come work with John.
    Tabytha was speaking in complete sentences shortly before she was 2. I know all kids are different and develop at their own pace, but this babbling thing is getting old for me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our doctor wasn't really concerned either... it was some speech therapists I know online who really pushed me to do it. They said, "It's not 'wait and see,' it's 'wait and pay' when it comes to speech stuff." My mom didn't take me for speech therapy until I turned 3 (times were different then), and I ended up needing it until fifth grade! I don't want Kaleena to have to go through that. I also knew the social services available would be different after her 3rd birthday then what we could get now.

    I was amazed at all the sounds she started saying after just one session. Suze comes over and as far as Kaleena's concerned it's just play time with her buddy. Suze brings toys and dolls and bubbles and lots of fun stuff.

    It did take about two months from my first phone call to start receiving services, so that is why I suggested just doing it now. If he starts babbling in the meantime you can just stop, but if not then the ball will already be rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea, I'll give his pediatrition a call Monday and get the number for a speech therapist. John's covered by the state (for a small monthly fee) thankfully, so, we don't have to worry about paying out extra.

    ReplyDelete